The Brazilian Supreme Court has ordered the house arrest of former President Jair Bolsonaro, who is on trial over an alleged plot to overturn the results of the 2022 presidential election.

Justice Alexandre de Moraes issued the order Monday, saying Bolsonaro had failed to comply with restrictions previously imposed on him by the court, including use of social media and cell phones.

The order said Bolsonaro recorded speeches to be posted on other users’ social media accounts in which his ankle monitor is visible, which Moraes said defied an order prohibiting “exploitation of interviews or public or private speeches posted on third parties’ social media.”

Bolsonaro will serve house arrest at his residence and will not be allowed to have visitors, except for his attorneys and people authorized by the court. The former president is also prohibited from using a cell phone, directly or through third parties.

Bolsonaro’s eldest son Senator Flavio Bolsonaro criticized the court’s decision, saying on CNN Brasil that his father had never defied a court order.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *