Cuban President Miguel Díaz-Canel warned Monday that a US military assault on Cuba “will cause a bloodbath with incalculable consequences” amid renewed tension between Havana and Washington.
“Cuba poses no threat, nor does it have aggressive plans or intentions against any country. It has none against the US, nor has it ever had any, something the government of that nation knows well,” the leader said in a post on X.
Díaz-Canel added that Cuba “is already suffering a multidimensional aggression from the US” and that it “has the absolute and legitimate right to defend itself against a military assault,” though he maintained that this “cannot logically or honestly be used as an excuse to impose a war against the noble Cuban people.”
Bilateral relations are at one of their lowest points in decades, with renewed pressure from US President Donald Trump and a spiraling energy crisis on the communist-run island. Last week, Cuba’s energy minister said that a last-minute Russian oil donation had been exhausted, and that Cubans would have to endure more power cuts.
On Monday, the Trump administration announced new sanctions on the Cuban government, including its main intelligence agency and interior ministry. Secretary of State Marco Rubio said in a statement that “additional sanctions actions can be expected in the following days and weeks.”
Continue reading the complete article on the original source